Saturday, February 27, 2010

What is a fair price for painting (inside your home) per square foot?

Hello Alamahar,





I live in Northern Virginia, and the price in this area may not be the same as perhaps where you live.





As a general rule of thumb, painting consists of preperation, and making things look good prior to applying any paint, I.E. filling any holes, dents depressions, cracks and so on, applying caulk to gaps around window, door trims and baseboards.


If your house/home is in good order there will be less time spent upon preperation, and this in turn will be reflected withing the price you actually pay.





Here is a rough guide of what I charge in this area.


Lets take a room that is 12x 15 feet, has one door and three windows.





I would paint the celing using two coats of paint, I would paint the window trims and baseboards, again applying two coats of paint, the door and door trims would also receive two coats of paint, or until the door looked even all over.


The walls are a different color to the trims and ceiling and generally require at least two coats of paint.





I would charge my customer about $750 for that room.





If I had to take several hours to make good holes dents etc in drywall, I would charge extra.


Generally most houses have gaps around trims and baseboards, and to fill those gaps does not take very long, so things like that would be within the $750 range for that size room.





If the customer wants me to remove all of their furniture, and take down curtains and blinds etc and then put them back afterwards, I would add about another $100 to that price.


Sounds mean but time is money, some customers have so much furniture in a room, you have to go outside just to change your mind.


If you have any walls that are wood panels, I would charge a bit more, because they take longer to paint and prime, than a regular drywall.


If you currently have dark colors upon the walls and wish to go lighter, once again they would need to be primed first, and this would add about another $100 to the ball park figure of $750





I hope this information shall be of benefit to you, and the price does include all materials.








Paul MWhat is a fair price for painting (inside your home) per square foot?
Try this site it may give you some idea of cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment