Thursday, February 25, 2010

What is the best way to price painting work?

Standard Operating Procedure is to get 3 quotes. That way you can see if someone is ripping you off. Be wary of the really low quote though. It could be they are missing something. Just keep asking for quotes to you are happy with the person you will be working with and the numbers seem right.What is the best way to price painting work?
I agree that you should have three quotes. It is critical to specify the type of paint and brand if you know one you like. The money is well spent if you use a high quality paint and know if you want a flat or an eggshell finish. It is also very important that you let the person quoting know if you want walls repaired and nail holes filled in-otherwise what appears to be the least expensive quote will be paint and run and you will still have nail holes or pop-outs on the walls.What is the best way to price painting work?
I price painting on time and materials. Time is based on repairing the walls, how much stuff I have to paint around, like doors and windows, am I painting the trim? or is it stained wood that needs to be taped?, Am I making a drastic color change that requires more coats of primer and paint? Who is moving the furniture? Can I easily work around furniture that can't be moved out of the room? Once I get an idea of all that, I figure an approximate time frame, add in the cost of materials and make a bid.


My time is worth at least $15 an hour. There are painters in my area that charge over $25 an hour.
  • Can you help set up this
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment